As an avid media consumer, I have subscriptions to many streaming services to satisfy my appetite for the latest movies, TV shows, and other digital content. One of my go-to services is Vudu, a popular on-demand video streaming platform owned by Walmart that offers thousands of movie and TV titles to rent or buy. However, Vudu’s content library can differ depending on your location due to licensing restrictions and regional availability. If you’ve ever tried accessing Vudu while traveling abroad or from a country not officially supported, you likely encountered the dreaded “content not available in your location” message. Fortunately, with a few simple tips and the help of a virtual private network or VPN, you can easily access Vudu’s full content catalog no matter where you are. In this guide, I’ll show you how to watch Vudu from anywhere in the world using a VPN.
Set Up a VPN to Access Vudu Outside the US
As an avid viewer of Vudu’s streaming content, I understand the desire to access one’s account when traveling abroad. However, Vudu currently only allows streaming within the United States. To bypass this geo-restriction, I recommend setting up a virtual private network or VPN.
A VPN masks your real IP address and routes your internet traffic through an encrypted tunnel to a server in a location of your choosing, like the US. This tricks Vudu into thinking you are accessing the site from within the approved region. Here are the main steps to set up a VPN:
- Subscribe to a reputable VPN service that offers US-based servers, like ExpressVPN, NordVPN or CyberGhost. I personally use ExpressVPN.
- Download the VPN app on your device. Most offer software for Windows, Mac, Android and iOS.
- Once installed, open the app and connect to a US-based server. This may be listed as ‘United States’ or a specific city like ‘New York’ or ‘Los Angeles.’
- Launch the Vudu app or open vudu.com in your browser. You should now be able to stream content from your account as usual. The VPN will continue running in the background to maintain your connection.
- (Optional) Consider enabling the VPN’s kill switch feature which cuts off internet access if the VPN disconnects unexpectedly. This prevents your real IP address from being exposed.
By following these steps, you can securely unblock Vudu and enjoy your favorite shows and movies wherever you are. Let me know if you have any other questions!
Related Article : The Ultimate List of Best Movies to Stream in June
Choose a Reliable VPN Service
To how access Vudu from anywhere in the world, I recommend choosing a reputable virtual private network or VPN service. A VPN allows you to mask your IP address and spoof your location to bypass geographic restrictions.
I personally use ExpressVPN, but there are other highly-rated options like NordVPN or CyberGhost VPN that should also work well for streaming Vudu. When selecting a VPN, look for the following:
- Fast connection speeds – You’ll want a VPN that can handle high-definition streaming without buffering or lagging. ExpressVPN offers unlimited bandwidth and fast speeds which is ideal for streaming media.
- Strong encryption – Choose a VPN that uses 256-bit AES encryption or better to protect your data and activity. Top services like ExpressVPN and NordVPN offer this level of security.
- No-logging policy – For privacy, select a VPN with a strict no-logging policy that does not track or store your online activity or connection logs. Many leading VPNs like ExpressVPN and CyberGhost VPN have a proven no-logging policy.
- Apps for multiple devices – If you want to watch Vudu on various devices, choose a VPN that offers apps for Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, streaming media players, and more. Most reputable VPNs provide apps for all major platforms.
- 24/7 customer support – In case you have any issues using the VPN service, select one that provides helpful customer support available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to assist you. Many top-rated VPNs like ExpressVPN and NordVPN offer support via live chat or email.
With the right VPN service in place, you’ll be enjoying your favorite shows and movies on Vudu, no matter where you are. The additional privacy and security benefits of using a VPN are an added plus.
Install the VPN Software
To access Vudu from anywhere in the world, you will need to install virtual private network (VPN) software on your device. A VPN masks your real IP address and reroutes your internet traffic through an encrypted tunnel to a server in another location. This allows you to circumvent geographic restrictions and access Vudu content that may not otherwise be available in your region.
Choose a VPN provider
Select a reputable VPN provider that offers servers in the U.S. Some recommended options include ExpressVPN, NordVPN, and CyberGhost VPN. I personally use ExpressVPN and have found their service to be very reliable. These providers offer apps for Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, streaming devices, and more.
Download and install the VPN app
Once you’ve chosen a VPN, download their app onto your device(s) and install the software by following the on-screen prompts. You may need to create an account by providing an email address and password. Many VPNs offer free trials so you can test the service risk-free before subscribing.
Connect to a U.S. server
Open the VPN app on your device and connect to any server located in the United States. This will mask your IP address and make it appear as if you’re accessing the internet from within the U.S. You may notice a slight drop in internet speed when connected to the VPN. This is normal and a small price to pay in order to unlock more content.
Launch the Vudu app and access content
With the VPN active, open the Vudu app on your streaming device or mobile device. You should now be able to browse Vudu’s full U.S. library and watch any titles that were previously unavailable in your region due to licensing restrictions. Enjoy your newfound streaming freedom! Let me know if you have any other questions.
Connect to a US Server
Use a VPN to Access Vudu
To access Vudu’s full content library, I connect to a virtual private network (VPN) with servers located in the United States. A VPN allows me to mask my IP address and trick Vudu into thinking I am located in the US.
Select a VPN Provider
I choose a reputable VPN provider like ExpressVPN, NordVPN or CyberGhost that offers fast US-based servers. These companies have easy-to-use apps for streaming devices like Roku, Fire TV and Apple TV in addition to Windows and Mac computers.
Connect to a US Server
Once I subscribe to a VPN service, I simply open their app on my device, select a US server location like New York or Los Angeles, and click “Connect.” My internet traffic is now routed through the VPN server, hiding my actual IP address and location. I can then open the Vudu app on my streaming device or web browser and access Vudu as if I was located in the US.
For the best streaming experience, I choose a VPN server in a location close to where I want to access content from. US West coast servers work well for accessing Vudu. I may need to try different servers to find the fastest connection.
Some content may still be unavailable when using a VPN due to licensing restrictions. Vudu actively works to block some known VPN IP addresses, so I choose a provider that offers a wide range of server options in case some US IPs are blocked. With some experimenting, I am usually able to find a VPN configuration that provides full access to Vudu.
Using a VPN is currently the only reliable way for viewers outside the US to access Vudu’s full content library. By following these steps, Vudu can be enjoyed no matter where in the world you might be located.
Verify Your New IP Address
To ensure I can access Vudu from anywhere, I need to verify that my new IP address is working properly with the service.
Check My Public IP Address
- I start by searching for “what is my IP address” in my web browser to find my current public IP address. I check a few different sites to confirm they are showing the same address.
Sign in to My Vudu Account
- Next, I sign in to my Vudu account on vudu.com and select “Account Settings” from the menu.
- Under “Account Information,” I check that the IP address listed matches the public IP address I found in the previous step. If it does, my new IP address is working properly with Vudu and I can start streaming content.
- If the IP addresses do not match, there may be an issue with my network configuration or internet service provider. I will first reboot my router and modem to refresh my network settings.
- If the issue persists, I will contact my ISP to ensure port forwarding is enabled and my account allows streaming media services. They may need to assign me a static IP address or make other changes to my account.
- As a last resort, I may need to use a VPN or DNS service to mask my IP address and gain access to Vudu from my location. These services can be purchased for a monthly fee and may impact streaming quality.
By verifying my IP address is functioning properly with Vudu, I can have confidence that I will be able to access a wide selection of movies and TV shows no matter where I am. Taking a few simple steps to troubleshoot any issues will help get my account back up and running so I never miss my favorite content.
Download Vudu Content for Offline Viewing
Download Content to Watch Offline
As a Vudu user, I can download movies and TV shows to watch offline when an internet connection is unavailable. This allows me to enjoy the content I have access to anywhere and anytime.
To download Vudu content for offline viewing, I follow these steps:
- Sign in to my Vudu account on vudu.com or the Vudu app and browse for content I want to download.
- Check that the content is eligible for downloading by looking for the download icon next to the title. If it’s available for download, the icon will say “Download” or “Download HD/UHD”.
- Click the download icon to start downloading the content. The download will continue in the background even if I exit the Vudu app or website.
- Monitor the download progress in the “My Downloads” section. The content will display a progress bar showing the percentage downloaded as well as the estimated time remaining.
- Once the download is complete, I can find the downloaded content in the “My Downloads” section to watch offline. The content will be available to watch for a limited time, typically 30 days.
Downloaded content can only be viewed on devices that are linked to my Vudu account. To link a new device, I sign in to Vudu on that device using the same username and password associated with my account. Downloads are tied to the Vudu service, and the content is not actually saved to my device permanently. However, as long as I maintain an active Vudu account, I will have ongoing access to stream or download the content I have purchased or rented according to the terms of the service.
FAQs: Common Questions About Accessing Vudu Internationally
Can I use a VPN to access Vudu internationally?
Using a virtual private network or VPN is one of the most common ways to access Vudu outside the U.S. A VPN masks your real IP address and tricks Vudu into thinking you’re accessing the service from within the United States. I have found that many VPNs work well for streaming Vudu abroad, including:
- ExpressVPN: Fast, reliable, and easy to use. Apps for most devices.
- NordVPN: Affordable, secure, and works with most streaming services.
- IPVanish: Simple to set up and use with fast connection speeds.
To use a VPN:
- Sign up for a VPN service and download their app.
- Connect to a U.S.-based server.
- Visit Vudu.com or open the Vudu app on your device.
- Vudu will detect your VPN IP address as being within the U.S. and allow you to access content.
- Disconnect from the VPN when you’re done watching to prevent slower internet speeds for other browsing.
Using a VPN typically provides the most reliable way to access Vudu’s full content library internationally. However, VPN use does come with some drawbacks like slightly slower streaming speeds and the need to pay for a VPN subscription.
Can I create a U.S. Vudu account from outside the country?
Creating a new Vudu account from outside the U.S. and accessing the service directly is difficult since Vudu primarily verifies locations based on billing information and IP addresses. Some users have reported success using gift card payment methods and VPNs to initially sign up, but there is still a chance your account could be restricted or canceled if Vudu detects you’re accessing from abroad. For the most part, if you live outside the U.S., the safest options are:
- Use an existing U.S. Vudu account
- Access Vudu through a VPN or DNS service
- Consider alternative streaming services available in your country